Learning from home at your own time and pace
With the widespread use of the internet and online learning systems, learning from your own home is no longer a dream, but a real option. The online course Introduction Broderie d’Art I offers you everything you dream about: videos that clearly show you how the actual embroidery is done; step-by-step explanations in writing and clear tutorials; all the specific materials for the assignments of the course, feedback where desired and the possibility to be admitted to the online Facebook group for contact with other students and sharing your experiences and results.
Would you like to specialise in a rare, artisan technique? Do you like the refinement of haute couture embroidery? Then following a course in haute couture embroidery techniques is just right for you. In addition to the courses in the studio, it is possible to take online lessons. Many students have succesfully completed these courses! Be dazzled by a whole range of new techniques and materials to work with, and study at your own pace.
Introduction to Tambour Embroidery
The Course Introduction Tambour Embroidery focuses first of all on working with beads and sequins with the tambour needle.
A whole new view on embroidery will be explored, not only working ‘flat’ with needle and thread, but also getting acquainted with techniques that give your embroidery a 3D effect. By working on a large embroidery frame with the tambour- or Lunéville hook, your work gets a completely different look. You will process materials such as beads, sequins, chenille, raffia, metallic yarns and silk embroidery thread.
On this page you will find answers to the following questions:
- Which topics are covered?
- For whom is Broderie d’Art interesting?
- Can you learn to embroider by an online course?
- What else do you need to complete this course?
- What is the price of this course?
- How do you sign up?
1. In this course the following topics will be discussed
- mounting the embroidery frame
- transferring the pattern to the fabric
- making the chain stitch with the tambour or Lunéville needle
- processing beads with a beaded needle
- processing beads with a tambour- or Lunéville- needle
- processing sequins with a beaded needle
- processing sequins with a Lunéville needle
- sewing on of Swarovski stones
- embroidering on a large embroidery frame
- processing of chenille yarn (and discovering why one yarn is not the other)
- processing of plastic raffia
- point-tiré with the tambour- or Lunéville needle
- different applications of the point-tiré
- research in finding balance in a design
- the sourcing of materials
Overview of all lessons in the online course Introduction Tambour Embroidery
|Module 1||What is meant by the term 'Broderie d'Art'?|
|Unit 1||What is the meaning of the term 'Broderie d'Art'?|
|Unit 2||Lesage: keeping tradition alive!|
|Unit 3||Why use an embroidery frame?|
|Module 2||How to mount your embroidery frame|
|Unit 1||Choice of fabric|
|Unit 2||Sewing the fabric to the twill tape|
|Unit 3||Stretching the fabric in the embroidery frame|
|Module 3||The trick of the chain stitch: working with the tambour hook|
|Unit 1||Basic materials Broderie d'Art|
|Unit 2||Let's start! The Chain Stitch|
|Unit 3||Thread and Bobbin|
|Unit 4||Embroidery of beads with the tambour hook|
|Module 4||Combination of materials and techniques|
|Unit 2||Re-inforcement with metal wire|
|Unit 3||Embroidery floss: silk or cotton|
|Module 5||My first project with the tambour hook: a brooche.|
|Unit 1||First project: Brooch or Application|
|Module 6||More about beads and sequins|
|Unit 1||DIY sequins|
|Unit 2||How to embroider with 'tubes' or 'bugle beads'|
|Module 7||Adding more volume with raffia and chenille threads.|
|Unit 1||How to work with rapphia|
|Unit 2||Soft caterpillar|
|Module 8||Metallic threads and the tambour hook make a lovely couple!|
|Unit 1||Werken met metallic garen Copy|
|Unit 2||Filling with threads|
|Unit 3||Pulling stitch|
|Module 9||Realise your first design with these new techniques.|
|Unit 1||Design with flower and branches|
|Unit 2||Design with squared flower leaves|
2. For whom is the the Introduction Course of interest?
- HBO Fashion / Textile students (Broderie d’Art I has already been followed as a specialisation within the program)
- Teachers at fashion academies / tailors / fashion designers (specialising in embroidery in couture / theater / film costumes)
- Students in fashion and tailor-made clothing (further development in the direction of couture / theater / film costumes)
- Bridal wear designers
- Fashion designers
- Artists (combinations with textile / photography / painting)
- Designers of accessories (bags, shoes etc.)
- Jewelry designers
- Those you love unique crafts
- Anyone who wants to develop further in the field of textile design
After this introductory course you will have sufficient knowledge to make an embroidery from A to Z. By using different materials and techniques, you will discover that it is possible to realise a certain refinement in your embroidery.
3. Can you learn to embroidery online?
People regularly ask me whether you can learn embroidery via the computer. My experience is that it works fine! It is even useful in some ways: you can watch the video’s in this course again and again, just until you ‘get it’!
Whether online learning suits you is a question I cannot answer for you. It offers a number of advantages, such as:
- learning at your own pace
- you may use every little moment available to you
- no travel time or travel costs
- you can work in the comfort of your own home or atelier
- you have three months to complete this four-day course; more than sufficient for viewing the video material and making the assignment
- all necessary materials will be sent to you.
Of course you miss the fun of spending two days in an inspiring environment with other lovers of haute couture embroidery. With an online course you need some discipline to get to work. But that should not be that difficult if you like it! It is up to you to determine what suits you best.
4. What else do you need
To follow this course you need two more things:
- Basic Toolset Tambour Embroidery / Broderie d’Art (large embroidery frame, twill tapes, bobbin holder and tambour- or Lunéville- needle). You purchase this toolset only once and can use it for years to come!
- Materials Course Haute Couture Embroidery (fabric, yarns, beads, sequins and other materials needed for the techniques to be learned, in a matching color palette).
You can find these packages in the webshop.
5. Price of this course
To follow this course in the studio, the investment in terms of time on my part is more intensive than with the online course. That is why I can offer the online course for a lower price than the course in the studio.
Normally the price for this course is
599,00 euro ex. VAT
I offer the online course for you for 447,00 euro ex. VAT
6. How do you sign up?
Do you enjoy special techniques and crafts? Would you like to increase your technical knowledge and skills? Are you eager to learn? Then start with the free trial lesson Broderie d’Art before you register for this course. Once you have you completed the free trial class, then sign up for the Online Course Introduction Broderie d’Art I.
The course can start as soon as you have registered. You will then immediately have access to the online video teaching materials, including handy step-by-step guides and additional information. The materials for making the assignments will be sent to you as soon as possible (usually within three working days).
Note: if you do not have an embroidery frame yet, order the Basic package of embroidery materials. This package contains an embroidery frame, spool holder, twill tires and a tambour needle.
The Online and Offline courses can be followed interchangeably. So you may continue with the course ‘Mastering Broderie d’Art 1’ offline in the atelier after completing the online Introduction to Broderie d’Art course.
If you have already followed courses elsewhere, please contact us to see where you can enter. Send an email with photos of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org
The program of workshops, masterclasses and training at Saskia ter Welle is aimed at professionals in the fashion industry who are looking for a possibility to specialise in couture techniques. In the courses, a balance is sought between technology and inspiration, between knowledge and expertise and artistic expression. Discovering your own handwriting is seen as crucial in the distinctive craftsmanship of each student.