SUMMERWEEK 1 – 5 August 2022
From August 1-5 Dutch Couture Academy will host an International Summer Week with a focus on Creative Moulage.
Guest lecturer: Shingo Sato from Japan
Immerse yourself for a week in the wonderful world of pattern making by means of moulage and TR pattern techniques (Japanese pattern techniques).
In the week of 1 to 5 August, you can take your pattern-making skills to a whole new level under the guidance of Saskia ter Welle and Shingo Sato.
This is what is on the program for this great summer holiday week:
- Monday: variations on your favourite theme! Bring along a toile of a garment you love. This will be the starting point to give it a completely new twist with different techniques.
- Tuesday: under the guidance of Shingo Sato, the famous Japanese pattern maker, we will work with his famous origami technique
- Wednesday through Friday, Sato will guide us through various forms of Creative Moulage, a technique in which a design is created visually and by shaping it on a mannequin or body (hello, perfectly fitting trousers!)
Shingo Sato has been a renowned name for years when it comes to special pattern techniques. I followed his extensive online training programme years ago and became the first person in the Netherlands to become a TR Master.
TR refers to the technique he developed to transform a pattern, step by step, into a true work of art. Sato is a leading figure for what many call “Japanese Pattern Techniques”.
Meanwhile I have followed several training courses with him (online), I have applied his techniques in my own couture collections and for clients, and I have taught and lectured about Japanese Pattern Techniques. However, I have never met him live. Therefore, I am really looking forward to working with you and others under his guidance during these days!
What does Creative Moulage look like?
With Creative Moulage, the body is sculpted, as it were, with fabric and painter’s tape. This gives you ultimate control over the final (flowing, perfectly fitting) form. Only then are the seams drawn into the model. This is where this form of moulage differs completely from the traditional form of draping. This also brings sewing challenges with it. You will learn how to deal with this in this course.
Because we work cross-culturally, it is expected that you understand English and that you are open and flexible. For the lover of new experiences, techniques and contacts. Furthermore, you are able to assemble a garment independently and you have some spatial insight and understanding of patterns.
Are you an aspiring fashion designer? Then you are very welcome to sign up for this unique opportunity to see Shingo at work and get started yourself. This high value Summer Masterclass is unique!
an inspiring environment where you can take your patterning skills to the next level
you will see your work with new ideas and inspiration
you will meet new people who share your passion for patterns
To be as prepared as possible, there will be a ZOOM meeting well in advance, where you will get tips on how to best prepare for this masterclass.
Please bring with you:
- fabric scissors
- sewing machine
- unbleached cotton of a somewhat firm quality
- coloured unbleached cotton or white thread
- plenty of 19/20 mm masking tape
- black and red fineliner/marker with thin tip
- long ruler (preferably transparent)
- possibly french curve
- mannequin if required
- at least 10 metres of unbleached cotton
SPECIAL OFFER VALID UNTIL JULY 28th:
Everyone who applies for the summerweek will get FREE access to all online courses draping/moulage!
The ZOMERWEEK will be given in the studio of Dutch Couture Academy, Gasthuisstraat 16, 6981 CS Doesburg.
Dates: 1 till 5 August 2022
Time: 10-16 hrs (coffee from 9.30 hrs)
Price: €1397,- or three partial payments of €497,-
This course includes:
- coffee, tea, lunches
- Zoom meeting 18 July 13-13.30 to prepare for the summer week
- BONUS: access to online course Blueprint for Unique Designs
Yes! I don’t want to miss this! One payment €1397,-
Yes! I don’t want to miss this! Payment in three terms of €497,- (plus administrative fee)